[PHOTOS] Sneak Preview: SFMOMA…Opening May 14
Event: SFMOMA Press Preview
Date: Thursday, April 28, 2016
Photos: theREGISTRYBayArea.com / Glass House Communications
It’s been an anxious 3-year wait in anticipation of the newly remodeled San Francisco Museum of Modern Art (SFMOMA) and on May 14th thousands will flood the 170,000 square foot space in awe of the more than 600 pieces of art as well as the design of the new building. This 10-story expansion includes new and renovated indoor and outdoor galleries, enabling SFMOMA to display more of its outstanding holdings of modern and contemporary artworks. The new building allows SFMOMA to be more welcoming and better connected to the city than ever before, with free public access to nearly 45,000 square feet of ground-floor galleries, as well as a permanent commitment to free admission for all visitors 18 and younger.
SFMOMA’s vibrant commissioning program is being inaugurated in the new museum with a site-specific textile mural by Dutch designer Claudy Jongstra. New galleries dedicated to the art and artists of California underscore SFMOMA’s commitment to artists of the Bay Area and beyond, including David Ireland, Lynn Hershman Leeson and Wayne Thiebaud, in addition to artworks by California artists integrated throughout the museum. Architecture and design exhibitions on view at opening explore the lineage of graphic design, as well as the process behind Snøhetta’s design for the new SFMOMA. There is so much more to see so we must have leave some to your imagination and further anticipation.
To celebrate the grand opening of the new SFMOMA on May 14, the museum is hosting ribbon cutting festivities beginning at 8:30 a.m. SFMOMA distributed more than 5,000 free timed tickets for Opening Day and tickets are now sold out, but you can go online to purchase tickets for any day after May 14th.
You can view all the photos (see below) you want, but NOTHING compares to the real thing!
• First Look: Inside the Newly Transformed SFMOMA – 7×7
• SFMOMA’s reopening: a ‘game-changer for San Francisco’ – and contemporary art – Guardian
• SFMoMA’s Expansion Sets a New Standard for Museums – New York Times
• For SFMOMA, a truly grand reopening – San Francisco Chronicle
• SFMOMA reopening: Many gems among premiere exhibitions – SFGATE
• The Monolith – San Francisco Magazine
• SFMOMA’s New Vertical Garden Is the Largest Living Wall in the United States – San Francisco Magazine
• At SFMOMA, Stairways to Creative Heaven – Wall Street Journal
• The Secrest of the New SFMOMA – Wired Magazine
|Did we miss your event? Submit your event photos»|
|Interested in media coverage for an event? Email us»|
|See a photo you like? Click the image to enlarge, then click the social icons to share.|